Sunday, August 13, 2006

the making

"If I had been a loved person, I wouldn't have become a writer. I would have been a happy human being.. I suppose I started writing because I had certain weaknesses in my system. I thought I was weak and vulnerable. That's why we attempt poetry. Poets are like snails without the shells, terribly vulnerable, so easy to crush. Of course it has given me a lot of pain, each poem. Each poem is really born out of pain, which I would like to share. But then you live for that person, the sharer of your pain, and you don't find him anywhere. It is the looking that makes the poet go on writing, search. If you find someone, the search is over, poetry is over."
..says kamala das, the rebel poet..i think i agree..

4 Comments:

Blogger nofrills said...

Would think slightly on a tangent than the poet. You write evn when you have something good to share; even with that someone.
For some, poetry begins after you have found what you are looking for. It's the want to share that makes a poet go on.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder if he discussion that diy in class makes u (n me - i like Das' writing too) think differently..

just wondering.. not sure though!

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

6:36 AM  
Blogger Kunal said...

I think every poet has a reason to write and a reason to continue doing that. It would be inappropriate to conclude on either view points, because poems do come out of pain and happiness, from lost and found. About poets, i am of the opinion that no poet is great, it is just that they have a better expression.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home